Thursday, October 7, 2010

Surface Research and Destroy Progress.

I started out this project pursuing the idea of the Seven Deadly Sins, hoping to make each destruction relevant to each one of the different sins. However, I started learning about Buddhism and its whole concept of rebirth, which was really what got me inspired for this project. In Buddhism, rebirth refers to a process where beings undergo a succession of lifetimes as one of many forms of sentient life, each running from birth to death. Buddhism doesn't believe in a permanent or unchanging self--rebirth in subsequent existences must be understood as the continuation of a dynamic, ever-changing process.

I chose this concept because I think it encompasses the whole point of this project--creating one piece of work, destroying it, then changing it into another piece of art in a different form.

My first piece is a photograph that I took. I edited the photograph and had it printed on 8.5" x 11" photo paper.

Better picture to come--it's still on my camera.
Original, unedited image for closer look at details.
I then destroyed the photograph by cutting it into small triangles. Out of those triangles, I am currently working on an abstract sculpture. Picture up soon hopefully.




Most of my progress thus far has been more planning. After the sculpture, I want to do a mixed media piece using smaller shapes out of the photo paper. By the end, I'm going to make paint out of ashes from the second to last piece, and paint the image from the original photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment